What is now Long Grass Nature Refuge was originally a mixed dairy and cropping farm owned by the Baines family.
In 1897 Mat Baines took up a selection in the rugged Rockmount District and his marriage produced two boys and two girls. Mat selected
a property for his son James on "Egypt", the sort of country that needed a man with a strong back, and a will to live in a harsh environment.
James Alexander Baines married Agnes Anne Walker in 1911 their marriage producing five boys and four girls. Two of the boys Jimmie
and Matt enlisted in the army with the outbreak of war in 1939. The other boys Robert (Bob) and George settled at West Haldon and
Fordsdale. James died 3/6/1955 aged 63. Agnes died 28/7/1966 aged 79.
In the early 1960's the Baines family won Golden Casket
and sold the property to Dick Cork. The Corks never lived on the property but used it to graze cattle and horses. Dick Cork died 5
Nov 1981 aged 63 years and is buried in the Ma Ma Creek cemetary. The properties passed to his children and were eventually purchased
by Gabrielle Friebe and Peter Richards to establish Long Grass Nature Refuge.